Tuesday, September 28, 2004

We are alive. Thank goodness. I have to say that I have never seen anything like Ivan in my entire life. We were on the eastern side of the eye which really got the worst winds, storm surge, etc. Our beautiful beaches are totally demolished with no sand dunes to speak of. People lost their homes, some even lost their lives riding out the storm.

We were truly blessed only losing most of the trees in our yard and a few shingles off the roof. We were lucky only being without power for four days and some of our neighbors are still without power. The schools in my county will not reopen until October 11. Which will make a total of four weeks.

Tommy and I sat out in the garage and watched the storm which raged for at least six hours. We listened to the pine trees in our yard snap like toothpicks. I can't explain what it was like but I never expected anything like what I witnessed that night.

Things aren't going to be normal here for a long time. We were lucky.

No comments: